There has been much improvement in battery technology recently and consumer awarness of the different types of battery on offer and their different uses. Please read How to choose the right batteries for more information. The new Lithium battery technology has caused a few problems and Petzl and Ortovox have issued advice on using Lithiums.
From Petzl.com News
Limitations on use of AA/LR6 and AAA/LR03 Lithium batteries with headlamps.
This information does not apply to the e+Lite which was designed to work with CR2032 Lithium batteries.
Lithium batteries are lighter and give longer burn times at low temperature than traditional Alkaline batteries.
Due to recent advances in the performance characteristics of Lithium batteries (especially their higher output during discharge), they can cause the lamp to overheat and possibly damage the LEDs.
You can use AA/LR6 Lithium batteries with the following lamps
- MYO range: MYOBELT SB5 / MYO / MYOLITE.
- DUO range: DUO LED 14.
- Others: SAXO / MICRO / ZOOM Halogène.
- Discontinued headlamps: MYO 5, DUO LED 8.
Attention: the use of Lithium batteries reduces the lifespan of incandescent bulbs.
Do not use Lithium batteries with the following lamps
- TIKKA / ZIPKA range: TIKKINA / TIKKA / ZIPKA / TACTIKKA / TIKKA PLUS / ZIPKA PLUS / TACTIKKA PLUS / TIKKA XP / TACTIKKA XP / TIKKA XP ATEX / TIKKA XP HAZLOC.
- MYO range: MYOLITE 3 / MYO 3 noir / MYO XP.
- DUO range: DUO LED 5.
- SAXO AQUA.
- Discontinued headlamps: MYOBELT 3, DUO LED 3.
From Ortovox UK
So there you have it. Lithium batteries have their advantages but are not for everything.