Mountain Equipment have introduced their new Orbital range for Spring 2021. Consisting of a jacket and trousers these two waterproof layers have been designed as a high output, highly breathable system for those moving quickly in hills and mountains.
The Orbital Jacket is made from a new fabric, DRILITE STRETCH, which is a stretchy, super breathable waterproof membrane. Using this highly breathable fabric means that in most circumstances you can put the jacket on at the start of the day and keep it on for the duration of your activity. Pit zips are included for additional temperature control. The DRILITE STRETCH fabric is soft and supple meaning it’s comfortable next to skin and moves freely with you. The crumple and clamminess that you often get from GoreTex in warmer conditions has been eliminated.
Being a mountain styled jacket it has all the features you would expect. Two large laminated chest pockets, note these are not waterproof, YKK moulded Aquaguard front zip, adjustable laminate cuffs and a very roomy helmet compatible hood that gives great protection from the elements.
Mountain Equipment Orbital Jacket
- 20D 3L Drilite Stretch waterproof / breathable membrane
- Mountain helmet compatible hood
- YKK moulded Aquaguard front zip
- 2 large laminated pockets with YKK moulded Aquaguard zips
The mountain cut means that it’s ideal for long days on the hill whether climbing or hill walking. It’s not an athletic fit but it’s also not baggy, if anything the fit is spot on. There is enough room to add a layer or two underneath if it’s cold and snug enough for there not to be lots of excess material if worn just over a baselayer. It also has dual tether hem draw cords, which is a feature I really like on Mountain Equipment jackets, the hem cord being split means you don’t inadvertently clip your climbing gear into your jacket!
At 390 grams it’s a perfect weight for a jacket that you can wear all day or have in your pack for emergencies. Where the DRILITE STRETCH Fabric really excels is when you are moving fast. It breathes really well allowing you to stay comfortable. I’ve been testing the Orbital jacket out recently on a day when the heavens opened in the Lake District and it proved to be very effective at keeping me dry and cool. Over the next couple of weeks I’m going to put it through its paces on some rides to work and runs. I’ll report back with my feedback but in the mean time if you like the sound of the Orbital jacket we have one to give away. Have a look at our competition below.
WIN! – A Mountain Equipment Orbital Jacket
We are giving away an Orbital Jacket to one lucky winner who can answer the following question correctly:
What is the name of the waterproof membrane in the Orbital Jacket?
This competition is now closed. Thank you for your entries.
- The competition will close 2:00pm 10th June 2021
- One winner will be chosen from correct entries
- A valid email address is required to enter.
- Only one entry per person will be counted.
- The winner will be notified by email.
- The prize can only be posted to a UK address.
- The winner will be offered their choice of size but the colour of the Jacket may vary.
- Your email address will be stored for administration of this competition only. It will not be added to our marketing mailing list unless you opt-in.