Ric is a North Wales based Guide who has a small guiding company called RPM Guiding. Ric teaches rock climbing and mountaineering in summer, and works as a backcountry ski and splitboard guide in winter.
“This lightweight down jacket from Rab has been in my bag all winter and has been part of my system of keeping comfortable in cold and semi-cold conditions.
I would normally change between carrying a full on down jacket for ice climbing or when temperatures are really low, then switch to something lighter later in the winter or on mild days. With the Microlight Alpine jacket I have not needed to do this as it is small and packs into the chest pocket to stow in the bag at all times, and for the remarkable weight and packability it delivers a lot of warmth. I use one size up so that it can be pulled over the top of my mid layers and shell jacket, but I have found it is also comfortable under the shell. Beware sharp objects though – as lightweight means that if it even glimpses a sharp ice axe there will be feathers all over the mountain!”
Rab Microlight Alpine Features
- Pertex Microlight 30D outer fabric
- 750 fill power (US) European hydrophobic goose down
- Mini stitch through baffles
- Down filled hood with wire peak
- YKK front zip with an internal insulated baffle and chin guard
- 100% ripstop nylon inner
- Lycra bound cuffs and a hem drawcord
- Zipped chest pocket which doubles as a stuff sac
Colour: Camo or Electric