The Mountain Equipment Tupilak is my first Gore Pro jacket (Pro took over from Proshell for Winter 13). I’m sure the change from Proshell to Pro has passed many people by and rightly so. There is no difference in feel or discernible change in performance between the 2 fabrics. Proshell was very breathable and comfortable and so is new Pro. I believe that the difference is that Gore can make the new membrane with much less wastage than the old one, so reducing costs. These reduced costs have manifested themselves as reduced price rises as the average cost of shell jackets has risen across the board.
- Great hood with helmet gripping silicon inside, complete halo draw cord to keep it out of your face, wearing a helmet or not and mainly internal adjustment cords for less wind flap. Hood retaining strap is broad Velcro and easy to undo whilst walking.
- Soft chin lining inside when zipped up, and a small zipped inside pocket.
- 2 large Napoleon pockets for harness and pack friendly storage.
- Pit zips which are an ok size but I would have liked to see them go an inch further towards the bottom hem, which might be more to do with my shoulder mobility than anything else.
- Great freedom of movement in the sleeves when climbing and velcro adjusting cuffs.
- 2 way YKK Aquaguard zip for easy belaying and a popper at the bottom. I see this on a lot of jackets but never feel the need to use it (perhaps one of you could enlighten me?). Front and back draw cords at the bottom hem for complete adjustability.